COMPETITION-APP IN THE REAL-LIFE CHECK
While competitors are only a click away on the internet, apps offer companies the chance to bind customers in their own eco-system. In this way, users can concentrate on their own brand. However, it is much more time-consuming to analyse what happens in these closed systems and which success factors these walled gardens obey.
One way to look behind these walls is to recruit test persons who observe the competitor’s app and keep a diary.
The undoubtedly smarter and more cost-effective method is to technologically “read” the competitor’s apps. Here, INNOFACT offers the Competitor App Analytics tool together with Murmuras.
COMPETITION APPS FIRMLY IN VIEW
It is not only the use of content that is shifting to the app world. E-commerce and thus online purchases are also increasingly taking place in walled gardens. INNOFACT and Murmuras offer transparency here and let brand decision-makers look inside the competition apps.
This is How it works
One or more apps from a market/segment/competitive environment are defined to be analysed. In the process, corresponding characteristics and attributes are defined that are to be observed. In addition, it is also possible to send out accompanying surveys to the users of the apps during the observation period.
The following KPIs/attributes can be analysed according to target groups, provided the app itself offers these functionalities as a feature:
- App usage times (e.g. by day, time, target group)
- Product searches
- Selected products/detailed views
- Purchased products, incl. purchase price
- Recording of purchased brands vs. own brands Receipts with original texts
- Coupons and discounts issued, incl. coupon name and coupon value
- Original coupon text and coupon ID Coupon expiry dates and redemption rules
THE STEPS TO THE PROJECT IN DETAIL
- Selection and review of competitor app(s) based on Android technology
- Definition of the KPIs to be monitored
- Setting up the dashboard
- If accompanying surveys are to take place: Definition of possible survey times and events
THESE QUESTIONS CAN BE ANSWERED DEPENDING ON THE FUNCTIONAL SCOPE OF THE COMPETITION APP
- Which promotions did the competitor run during the observation period?
- In which calendar week were which coupons played?
- Shopping behaviour measured by time, quantity and product category purchased?
- Spending behaviour based on receipts on an aggregated basis (e.g. product category)?
- Shopping behaviour in relation to brands and private labels?
- Purchasing behaviour in relation to special offers? And do these have a leverage effect?
- Surfing behaviour in relation to the “best” times of day? (When should promotions/coupons ideally be played out)?
- Surfing behaviour in relation to individual menu items in the app? (UX check)
- Media behaviour in relation to news and news items called up?
- Shopping behaviour in relation to age and gender?
- Reached target group in terms of age, gender, education and income?
WHAT INNOFACT DELIVERS
- Preparation of all KPIs in a clear dashboard
- Individual password-protected access for marketing or market research managers
- Presentation of KPIs for the competitor app as well as the own app in comparison
- Very efficient setup that minimises survey costs and enables new study approaches as well as the combination with other methods
- Measurement of normal media use under real conditions without a laboratory situation
- Possibility to also observe movement behaviour in the real world during the observation period (e.g. which app actions are carried out in shops)
- Possibility of questioning during the observation period to investigate further motives of the usage behaviour
- The tool is ideal for sectors such as retail with categories such as food, fashion, perfumery/beauty, books, furniture or DIY stores.
- Very important: In the course of competitive analyses, the Amazon app can also be read out accordingly!