Brand and advertising strategies successfully managed
Trackings are the daily business for marketing, communication and brand managers: The regular measurement or monitoring of a company’s brands or its advertising strategy enables advertising success control, shows potential for improvement or even helps to identify undesirable developments early on.
Based on key performance indicators (KPIs), a questionnaire design is defined which is used to regularly survey the customers or target groups of a brand.
INNOFACT measures communication activities and brand work in Germany and internationally for many clients, whether monthly, quarterly or annually. In this way our clients know where they stand with their brand or image values and their communication strategy.
The most important goal of regular measurement or tracking of advertising and brands is the possibility to anticipate market developments and to enable control on the basis of previously clearly defined KPIs. Although the majority of INNOFACT trackings are collected via online surveys, trackings are generally not bound to a specific method.
The most important aspect of tracking studies is the consistent survey over months and years. This means that the study design and KPIs are changed as little as possible across the different study frequencies – ideally even nothing at all – in order to enable a clean time series study or a comparison of the study results at different points in time. In the end, however, it cannot be avoided that questions in a tracking questionnaire have to be supplemented in a follow-up wave after all. This means that companies as well as implementing institutes should take some rules to heart.
Here are our top 3:
Basically, questions that are more likely to be subject to change or that may require extensions should be implemented at the back of the questionnaire. In this way, questionnaires can be modified and the impact kept appropriately small.
- If possible, no changes should be made to invitation processes. In case of regular tracking, invitations should always be sent out at a similar time for the survey. This concerns the invitation text as well as the day of the week or the time in the quarter or year.
- If possible, no changes in the survey method. INNOFACT has found that even a change from telephone to online surveys can have an effect on the level of results.
- A tip here: Should it still become necessary because you want to implement a different survey method, a parallel wave as a control group should still follow the previous method.
With tracking, key figures are regularly collected that provide information about the status of the company, satisfaction or brand status. Exemplary KPIs that INNOFACT regularly measures and monitors for its customers in this context could be
- Top of Mind/Overall Liking
- Aided and unaided memory Investigation of the effect of individual elements (Logo, slogan, text, visuals, persons etc.)
- Triggering of buying impulses
- Suitability for communication
- Comprehensibility and uniqueness Assertiveness in the environment of other advertising Contribution to the image and brand core Recognition of the Reason to Believe Unsupported and supported brand awareness (also in comparison with competitors)
- Brand image based on industry-relevant KPIs Brand funnel analysis
(Consideration, Purchase, Re-Purchase, First Choice)
- Perception of the brand in channels
- Use behaviour in relation to various channels
- Communicated impression (positive/negative)